The mommy makeover is a combination of procedures that usually includes breast implants, a tummy tuck, and liposuction to contour your figure and give you back the confidence that makes you… well, you. While breast augmentation is commonly included, you’ll find that you have two implant options that you’ll have to decide between, each of which offers its own unique advantages.
Saline or Silicone Breast Implants?
The two primary types of implants are silicone and saline. Both are FDA-approved and can provide great results for the majority of women looking to add some fullness to their breasts.
These implants are filled with a sterile salt water solution. Advantages of saline implants include:
- Smaller incision size, as the implant shell is filled after insertion
- There’s a lower rate of early onset capsular contracture with saline implants
- Saline implants are less expensive than their silicone counterparts
Silicone implants are filled with a gel that’s designed to mimic the feel of natural breast tissue. Most of today’s breast augmentations are performed using silicone. Advantages of silicone breast implants include:
- Results that feel and look more natural, particularly for women with low body fat or thinner skin
- The thick silicone gel is designed to stay in place, even if there’s a leak or rupture
- Silicone implants won’t show visible wrinkles or ripples under the skin
The question of which type of breast implant will give you the best mommy makeover results will depend on how much breast tissue you have, your measurements, and what your appearance goals are. From there, your plastic surgeon can help you determine whether saline or silicone breast implants will help give you the best possible outcome.